Monday, November 5, 2012

Hot Natured - Benediction

If you've read my blog before, you would notice I have dubbed a lot of the "underground" house these days as taking on the "hot creations effect." It basically means producers who try to do the exact opposite of what has become the more mainstream house sound attached to guys like David Guetta and Swedish House Mafia, and end up all sounding the same. The Hot Natured crew, Jamie Jones and Lee Foss, are in my opinion, the first to get big on that more subdued, deep house sound. It was fresh and original, but the copycats have made some of the dance music categorized as deep house pretty darn boring.
Anyway, their latest release featuring the vocals of frequent collaborator Ali Love has made the Top 40.
The track is great and deserves to be in that Top chart. The first time I heard it, something about the synth they use reminded me of old Soul II Soul, which can never be a bad thing. Ali Love proves once again how his vocals can literally make a track.

So hey, its kind of nice to see something else from the dance community make a mark, right? Well, Jones felt the need to release a disclaimer:
Funny to see some people completely misunderstanding in the comments and thinking he is going to collaborate with Akon.

I don't know, this rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously the Akon mention is in reference to David Guetta. He pretty much calls Guetta a sell-out and states his music is not taking that direction.  To me, trying to be the antithesis of David Guetta is simply acknowledging the success that Guetta has achieved. I'd be surprised if Jamie Jones did not own a Guetta record pre-2009. And if you are really passionate about house, you will know that Guetta still used soulful vocals in his earlier tracks, and its not like the electro sound he made has changed all that much. He has gained access to "bigger" artists to appear on his records but his sound is not that much different.

I didn't comment on his thread cause I've already pissed one Hot Creations guy off, and one is enough for me http://jackhadagroove.blogspot.ca/2012/06/rant-on-part-2.html. I like Hot Natured, and I'm going to continue to listen to their music. I just don't see how it is necessary to please the "dance hipsters" and be apologetic for achieving success.

* * * 

I just went on Twitter two seconds after releasing this post and saw this:
Just to reiterate my point I've talked about throughout this blog, you cannot hate on commercial dance music when you may become it one day. This tweet makes me laugh cause
1) MK has been working with Hot Natured and particularly Lee Foss releasing a new track called Electricity, as well as remixing Forward Motion
2) Marc Kinchen has produced for one of the most hated pop stars to infuse house music into his records: Pitbull! (side note: Pitbull's latest desecration was taking TJR's Funky Vodka and releasing it with his rap vocals on top calling it "Don't Stop The Party." Equipped with horrible video with scantily clad women prancing around and all).
3) LMFAO being Motown legend Berry Gordy's son and grandson, I doubt they are "uneducated" when it comes to good music.
You cannot take away the mark MK has left on House music with tracks like Push the Feeling On and Burning, but I don't understand why everyone is hatin'

Update 06/11/12: Seems like House music is turning into defensive music...for shame! http://www.vibe.com/article/david-guetta-speaks-vibe-never-told-story

No comments:

Post a Comment