Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Avicii - EDOM

Just today I was listening to my iPod (yes I still use one of those. And mine is a really old one, with the track wheel!), and Steve Angello & Sebastian Ingrosso's track "Partouze" came on. If you are unfamiliar with the track, its got this great violin sound. I remember in the earlier days of Twitter (2009), these guys would always tweet about their partying and declare "Partouze" like it was a verb describing debauchery.

Anyways, as I was listening to the violin, it reminded me of Otto Knows' remix of BURNS' Lies. When I heard a snippet of that track, I dismissed it immediately because I only heard the synthy portion. But one day I heard the track in its entirety and loved the use of the violin. I couldn't help but think that Otto Knows (Otto Jettmann) has probably been influenced by the SHM boys, given that he too is from Sweden, and has gone on to release "Million Voices" on Ingrosso's Refune label.

I swear, all of this happened today! I later stumbled upon Avicii's new track, EDOM, which he has apparently been playing lately in his sets. I can't help but wonder what EDOM means, as it looks like the acronym EDM. Could it be Electronic Dance-Opera Music? Ok, probably a poor theory, but the use of the violins again makes it really orchestral. I even checked Google Translate to make sure it wasn't a Swedish word! Swede Tim Bergling has said many times that SHM has been a heavy influence on him, so I wonder if he, like me, is a big fan of Partouze. Whatever the inspiration for the new track, its pretty good, and I can see it is going to be well received by his fans.


Update 10/10/12: Ash, Avicii's manager, confirmed to me on Twitter that EDOM is just MODE backwards. So much for my theory! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment