Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Buzz Buzz Bzzz: Skream feat. Kelis - Copy Cat

I've mentioned before how I hate hipsters. But sadly, even I sometimes act like one when I react with music snobbery. I guess I've always felt possessive of dance music (which is ridiculous, since it is one of the best forms of music that has crossed so many barriers: gender, sexuality, race, age). When I saw celeb blogger Perez Hilton post this song, I felt some kind of impending doom. Not because I don't acknowledge dance music now reaches the masses. Its just that I never fathomed someone like Skream ever being noticed by someone so vacuous as Perez.
So yeah, this track is definitely all the buzz. SPIN's Philip Sherburne calls it the female version of Usher's Climax.
Kelis is no stranger to the dance music world, having collaborated with acts such as Basement Jaxx (Scars), Benny Benassi (Spaceship, as well as Emancipate, Brave), Boys Noize (22nd Century), BURNS (Intro), Calvin Harris (Bounce), Crookers (No Security), David Guetta (Acapella, Scream) and for her latest album, she works once again with BURNS as well as enlists Tom Neville and dubstep producers Caspa and Skream (Oliver Jones).
The latest is called Copy Cat. It definitely has a trap music feel, and I'm not too fond of that style of music. What do you think? I personally really like Sticky.

No comments:

Post a Comment