Saturday, January 12, 2013

Happy (belated) New Year!

Keeping this blog going is a labour of love, but it gets so hard sometimes to find the time to update it. I wish I could say my New Year's resolution was to be better at it, but we're already 12 days into the New Year, so...

Please bear with me and don't give up on me. I hope you share the same passion for dance music that I do and (the 5 people reading!) you will continue to come and read about the music that I love!

2012 began my blogging journey, and it opened with the beef between SHM and DJ Sneak. Since then, Sneak has continued to slam the mainstream, declaring himself all knowing when it comes to House music. Recently he sparred off with Deadmau5 after Zimmerman made comments about the old guard living in the past.





Before that, he took on fellow veteran Tommie Sunshine, who has become the unofficial spokesperson for longtime producers in support of EDM. Something about the lack of respect the two had for each other.
I mean, who is off limits?

I don't know, I think Sneak has had a lot of exposure through his rows. Its like bad publicity is better than no publicity. The whole mess Sneak has made even prompted the creation of a parody Twitter account of Sosa's psychiatrist, cause he seems to angry and bitter: https://twitter.com/DjSneaksShrink

Sebastian Ingrosso was quoted as saying that Sneak's attacks come from being a marketing stunt http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/ingrosso-dj-sneak-is-a-fucking-douche-bag. I have to say I disagree, because if you read what Carlos Sosa tweets, he is far from articulate and I don't think he has the brains to come up with something that strategic. That being said, no one can take away his contribution to house music's past. I hope 2013 brings him less anger and more gigs and he gives up his "House Gangster" ways.

Dennis Ferrer, a friend of Sneak's and a champion of the underground (and remixer of one of my favorite tracks of 2012 http://jackhadagroove.blogspot.ca/2012/10/nick-curly-underground-dennis-ferrer.html) has been weighing in on the continued vinyl vs traktor debate http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/interview/dennis-ferrer/ One thing is certain, that debate will never go away, with people who spin one way continuing to think they are a cut above the rest.

Resident Advisor posted their year-end poll of the Top 100 DJs http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1700. Its so funny to see how "underground" the list is. After all, everyone is annually up in arms over the DJ Mag poll due to its commercial nature. Well, I personally think both polls stink and its up to me to listen to who I like and uncover different artists and that poll is as meaningless as DJ Mag's.

The new year has already started off with more debate and disdain.
I personally have disdain for guys like former editor-in-chief of Dancing Astro, Jacob Schulman, being enlisted to work for Billboard, and EDM Snob Albert Berdellans commissioned to work for Ultra Music Festival. Its not about being jealous, but rather uncertain this crop of young kids have done their homework and earned their stripes to be the voices of dance music. Able to talk about current dance music in America, yes, but able to provide relevant perspective, no.

Another adolescent making a statement that doesn't sit well with me:
Are you kidding me? I think Robinson has some really good production technique, but have you heard his collaboration with Mat Zo called "Easy"? I mean, eek! Diva house is such a pillar in the foundation of the genre. If he doesn't "get" it or like it, fine, but don't call it the funniest thing in the world cause when I first heard "Easy" I laughed pretty hard and it was completely in the ironic sense of the word. Bah...

Afrojack went into Deadmau5 by addressing his "we all push play" rant from a few months back: http://m.billboard.com/news/afrojack-to-deadmau5-don-t-talk-about-stuff-1008075642.story Is there something in the air of those private jets? Is this Fight Club or guys making dance music for the masses?

Tommie Sunshine and Ed Simons from the Chemical Brothers got into it when Sunshine sang his praises for SHM's "Don't You Worry Child" via Twitter:



Well, then. Like I said, Sunshine is going all out in blogging about how happy he is to see EDM's success. While I agree with some of his points, at the end of the day, I think we just have to agree to disagree. Not everyone will embrace the music. Sad we are fighting within the genre, cause I am just glad I don't have to be subjected to depressive rock like the 90s on the radio airwaves.

Their conversation got the attention of frequent Mixmag contributor Ben Gomori, which ended up in Mixmag hosting "the great EDM debate": http://www.mixmag.net/words/features/the-great-edm-debate

And they are still going at it:


I love these reactions!
 Haha, Sasha. I don't agree with you but love you long time.

Ok, ok, ok. One final say:
Things that make you go hmmmm

Things I hope to see in 2013:
- less analysis of dance music. Myself included. More sharing and caring.
- less "back to 90s house" in deep house
- less sampling of RnB in deep house
- less bad EDM (there is still good stuff out there. Looking right at you Tommy Trash. Lead the way!)
- a wedding between Deadmau5 and Kat Von D that lasts longer than the year
- more views on my blog ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment