Tuesday, April 2, 2013

HAIM - Falling (Duke Dumont Remix)

So this week Duke Dumont's Need U 100% http://jackhadagroove.blogspot.ca/2013/01/duke-dumont-need-u-100.html was released in the UK (not yet stateside), and it catapulted to number 1 on the iTunes chart, winning the accolades of fellow DJs, and even One Direction's Harry Styles! You can't escape the buzz! Some are calling it a comeback, though Adam Dyment insists he's been immersed in the scene, having never left but rather doing a lot more remixes.
Segway!
Ok, so I feel kinda bad saying this but this all girl trio look like the perfect candidate for Carles' next target on hipsterrunoff! They are actually sisters that hail from California (not Brooklyn), so I'll give them a free pass ;)
Their latest single, Falling, gets the remix treatment from the man of the hour. Seriously, EVERYONE is talking about Duke Dumont, and rooting for him to claim the number 1 position on the charts. Rightly so, but also because it is a win for the whole dance community to show that not just EDM can represent the dance scene and appeal to the masses.


The remix is great, and channels an 80s sound (much like Skream's remix of Need U). For me, all I can think of is Cyndi Lauper's All Through the Night and something else from the 80s I can't quite put my finger on. Been racking my brain to figure it out, but can't (if you have any ideas, please post!).

Check out this minimix he did for Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show. It includes a lot of great Chicago House, so you can get to know the second wave generation of House producers and how this great genre came to be:
Side note: so I may have previously called into question Adam Dyment's ethnicity. I shouldn't use past tense since I still wonder. I read this Mixmag interview yesterday while at the bookstore (the city I'm currently in is the boondocks and clearly they are behind with the editions they carry. The interview is in the February 2013 issue) http://www.mixmag.net/words/features/duke-dumont-duke-abides. I read in there that he used to participate in judo competitions, further fueling my Asian suspicions...not that non-Asians don't do judo...ok, digging myself into a deeper hole here.
I'm embarking on a big move back to NYC and pretty much coordinating it around trying to catch Duke Dumont when he plays Montreal in May, so maybe I will find out once and for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment