Monday, June 11, 2012

The 2 Bears - Get Together (Todd Terry InHouse Mix)

After pretty much professing my love for Joe Goddard http://jackhadagroove.blogspot.ca/2012/06/disclosure-control-joe-goddard-remix.html my ears have been graced by a remix of his group's (with Raf Rundell) track Get Together by the legendary Todd Terry.

I have mentioned Todd Terry here and there in my blog, but I cannot stress enough what an important role he has played in building the foundation of House we hear today. And he is still going at it like nobody's business. Adopting the strategy of mixing disco samples and hip hop tracks, he pioneered a new sound fusing Chicago House to the streets of New York. His production work with the Jungle Brothers yielded the track "I'll House You." Yup, we've been housed!


He worked with Masters At Work (Kenny Dope and Louie Vega), and took on various aliases such as Hardhouse, Todd Terry All Stars, Gypsymen, House of Gypsies, to name but a few. I want to share with you some of my old school favs:

Oh my God, when the girl starts moaning, I always feel the need to turn the volume down, in case someone can hear me listening to this and get the wrong idea! Haha! Whats interesting about this track is that it too was made from sampling. Terry sampled Patrick Adams and Ken Morris's track Keep on Jumpin. Even before I heard Todd Terry's version I heard the Lisa Marie Experience version, which came out the same year (1996).

Here is the original, featuring the voice of Jocelyn Brown, who went on to become an established House music staple for her House diva vocal abilities.
Another one of my favorite tracks is Samba.
It has been given the remix treatment by Matthias Heilbronn, and has been fully endorsed by Todd the God himself!

In 1992, he launched Freeze Records with Willian Socolov, then in 1999, he launched InHouse Records. InHouse is now where he puts out the majority of his work from.
I wish I could give you a much more extensive view of all the masterpieces he has created, but I would be sitting at my computer for at least a good whole year.
Todd Terry has lived through many of the different phases of life House music has gone through. Currently at the young age of 45, he continues adapting his sound but always staying true to the quality of his work. Here are two of his more recent tracks:

Something about this track reminds me of Soul II Soul's Take Me Higher

Here is a track he did in collaboration with Junior Sanchez, another one of NYC's House legends

If you know what's good for you and want to be a TRUE house head, look up Todd Terry's work. You won't be disappointed, guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment