Monday, June 11, 2012

New Jack Techno - Turbo Recordings

Do you remember the Wesley Snipes movie, New Jack City? I was 10 when that movie came out and pretty sure my parents would not let me near that kind of film. But fast forward 16 years later and I saw it randomly playing on tv one night. It was basically about drugs in NYC at a time pre-Rudy Giuliani when the thought of New York elicited the thought of a city ridden with heavy crime.
The soundtrack to the movie featured a lot of New Jack Swing, a genre of R&B that was fused with drums. hip hop and pop. Teddy Riley was the name most associated with the genre. It was extremely popular in the early 90s, before the grunge movement. I was kind of annoyed because Teddy Riley replaced Quincy Jones as producer for Michael Jackson's Dangerous album, and you could hear the difference. But still, the New Jack Swing sound did produce some great music.
So when you hear the title "New Jack Techno" you have to wonder what Turbo label head Montreal's James Sontag aka Tiga is thinking. Is it a return to an older sound? Is it fusion of other genres with techno? I have no idea!
I'm really liking J. Tijn's The Anti Mixdown, Milano's Wasteland and Nautiluss' Troubleman. The whole compilation is worth a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment