Thursday, May 10, 2012

Alexis Raphael - Into The Light

Alexis Raphael is London based DJ & producer and the latest person to release on Hot Creations.
Into the Light samples N-Joi's "Anthem" while I Know samples Tiga's "You Gonna Want Me." Jamie Jones and Lee Foss (aka Hot Natured) remix Into the Light.

Once again, I'm on the fence about sampling. I think most people who listen to Hot Creations releases know a lot about the history of house music, but I'm sure there are some who don't know the N-Joi track. It just makes me sad that a lot of people won't get to appreciate the original, and take the sample as original work. Oh well...

Edit 5/11/12: Ok, so I totally got called out for not knowing the original samples that were used in Alexis Raphael's Into the Light EP. Turns out that both Raphael and N-Joi sampled Gwen Guthrie's 1983 track "Peanut Butter" for "Into the Light," and I Know and Tiga sampled Candi Staton's 1976 track "I Know." This is like when I discovered how many samples Daft Punk used on their tracks...disappointment! You go all these years thinking they are completely original and then someone points it out! Makes me sad for some reason. Anyway, thank you anonymous person for the correction!

2 comments:

  1. the original samples are not from the classic house tracks mentioned but from Candi Staton and Gwen Guthrie from the 70s.

    ReplyDelete