Sunday, April 22, 2012

You Need to Know: Actress

Late to the party once again, today I discovered Actress. London-based Darren Cunningham was recently featured in The Guardian, and the article was titled "Actress, more cerebral than your average techno artist." Ouch to all the other techno artists! LOL!
Having worked with Adult Swim and Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz), Actress created his own label Werk Discs in 2008 and released his first album. 2010 was his sophomore release, and his latest album is called R.I.P. is the follow up.
What I find funny is that I know I am not "cerebral" when it comes to the music I like. I appreciate what I do for its sound, beat, maybe melody...I never pay attention to lyrics, or try to find a deeper meaning to a song. So even reading this Guardian article was a task for me! Here is the link if you need more meat to your music reads: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/14/actress-darren-cunningham-rip?mobile-redirect=false
I'll admit its a little more "weird" than what I tend to go for. Definitely reminds me of Burial. Anyway, you decide. This clip is not from the latest album, but its one I liked:

No comments:

Post a Comment