Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Buzz Buzz Bzzz: Justin Martin - Ghettos & Gardens

My feelings towards DirtyBird have always been hit or miss. For instance, Shadow Child's String Thing is amazing, and receiving a lot of good buzz that I think is 100% warranted. But this new album from Justin Martin "Ghettos & Garden" is just not my taste. Perhaps it is because I like electronic music to dance to, and "Hood Rich" sounds more like it belongs on a movie score or video game. The title track "Ghettos & Gardens" includes a heavy bass that is almost signature to the label. Run by Justin Martin's brother, Christian Martin, and Claude VonStroke (Barclay Crenshaw), DirtyBird operates out of San Francisco, and the gang is notorious for hosting barbecues to double as DJ sets. They sound like a great group, and I would definitely like to see them in action one day. I'm going to keep listening to the title track to see if it grows on me, because its almost as if I WANT to like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment