Sunday, April 1, 2012

Who's gonna save ... us from us all

Good grief I truly did not know how much hatred there was on social media until I too became a "troll" and was watching this "#DJtweef" play out. And I only did that because I felt a small sense of guilt bringing Sneak's comments to SHM's attention (haha its not all about me!)

I had read a tweet from Laidback Luke earlier in the week, and I didn't make the connection about Sneak's DJ Mag comments til now

Junior Sanchez, SIZE label mate, also responded that day

Sneak's comments went under the radar. But the people that supported the statement started to sing its praises, which is how it caught my eye. The whole "tweef" has been nothing short of sad. Sad for the industry. And out of the whole thing, probably nothing is resolved. But at least Steve Angello was able to say his peace.  He stated that he acknowledged that not everyone will like the music others put out, or each other. But he is committed to what he is doing.  He issued the statement to put an end to the tweets, but they still poured in regardless

I stand my ground that Sneak's contribution to House was huge. And even though some people will think I am not a supporter of his sound, well too bad, I am.  However, I simply cannot comprehend his approach to this whole "debate" he manufactured. Many of his supporters stated he was not spreading hate, but simply telling it like it is, exposing a truth. But how do you call a DJ a "DJ actor" and then say, no, its not hate? Repeatedly call them fake, and then say that there is no hate behind it. "RIP Mafia." I mean c'mon!  His fans are too blinded by his talent to realize the remarks are more venomous than warranted.

How does anyone interpret bashing another artist as anything more than to serve their own attention-seeking behavior? Sneak has been posting links to others that make belittling remarks about SHM, like Toronto's Art Department, a highly touted Crosstown Rebels duo, that attempt to call out Steve Angello (Kenny Glasgow was not quoted as saying anything, so I take that into account).
http://www.brightshinymusic.com/2011/12/bright-shiny-exclusive-interview-with.html#more
This apparently does not constitute "hate"? Spare me

To top it off, I don't understand how credibility is not lost when you start to change your argument. First, his issue was that SHM's music was not house. Now it is that they are "fake" DJs.


Huh?! I have seen Steve Angello live twice, once at Mansion Miami in '09, right before WMC, and once at Pacha NYC in '10. I didn't hover over him to see how he was playing. Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to tell as I am not a DJ. But both times, I danced my socks off, had a great time, and was entertained which I think is what he set out to do. There is a kind of "don't spit on my craft" attitude rampant in the old school thinking. "If you don't spin my way, its wrong." Who died and made you House music spokesperson?

I went to see who Sneak follows on Twitter, and David Guetta, one of the most controversial figures in House was on that list. He follows so many mutual friends of SHM. Its a weird hypocrisy.
Sneak peers like Roger Sanchez and Junior Sanchez (no relation, haha) have come out and supported Steve Angello. But then Sneak called out Junior Sanchez, basically asking him to pick a side, with Felix da Housecat trying to defend Sanchez. Again, 12 year old girl behaviour much? But no one will fault him for it cause he's "DJ Sneak, House music legend."

Its as if the hustle to reach success is quickly forgotten, and taking those in high places down is what becomes a priority. The house "purists" completely have a sense of entitlement that truly stems from a place of nowhere. Who died and made you House music spokesperson?

If someone told me I wasn't a true House lover because I like SHM I'd tell them to sod off.  I can like Art Department, Sneak, SHM, and everything in between and that doesn't make me less of a "true House fan." Someone commented on the blog saying I didn't know what I was talking about, as I seemingly was disagreeing with DJ Sneak. Well, that's why its an opinion, we can discuss it, and move forward. My issue is that Sneak is making blanket statements and not leaving any room for any discussion and given his position in the House scene, it makes him look nothing short of foolish. I know it seems I am completely backing SHM, but I still respect Sneak's music. Just not the way he brought about this unnecessary issue.  Time to fix your stink my friend!





No comments:

Post a Comment