Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Nouveau Yorican - Quiere Mas

Nouveau is the French word for "New." Yoricans are a nickname given to the large Puerto Rican population that settled in New York. Gina Turner, half of the duo, is based in NYC, and the sound of the pair has quite a bit of a latin flair. Her other half is Laidback Luke, who is also her fiance and a huge producer/DJ in his own right. Side bar: Gina is on Them Jeans podcast, talks about her upcoming wedding, and it is hilarious: http://www.mixcloud.com/THEMJEANS/gina-turner/
I remember the first time I heard the name "Nouveau Yorican" I got very confused with Nuyorican Soul, which one of Louie Vega and Kenny Dope's aliases. The first tracks I heard from them were Chiuso and Nueva, both which were released on Defected Records. I felt like I was transported into a bodega in Brooklyn whenever I heard these tracks.
Quiere Mas is out on Riva Starr's Snatch! Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment