Friday, April 20, 2012

I am female AND I like House music

So there have been countless times where I have tweeted to a DJ to express to them how I enjoyed their music, and I've received replies like "thanks man, bruh, dude, bro." As of late I took my actual picture down as my avatar, but it even happened when I had my picture up. I like to think I resemble a female. Also, my name is on my page. So what I am guessing is that they don't look at my pic, or name, but blindly reply, and also assume that I am male. And its not just the "electro-house" guys who fist pump and call each other broski, its even the "older" generation of house producers/DJs. What is with this discrimination? I've never been a feminist, but it does get annoying when people just assume you are male.

DJs like Sister Bliss, Annie Nightingale, Annie Mac, Gina Turner, Maya Jane Coles, MaryAnn Hobbs, Nicole Moudaber, Deniz Kurtel, Nervo, Anna Lunoe, Laura Jones, B Traits, Sam Divine, Blond:ish, Nina Kraviz and more are trailblazing the way for more females to enter the DJ ring. And it is not just DJing, it is also in the production realm. (I don't put Sydney Blu in that category because she tried to pass off a mash-up of Sidney Samson's Riverside and The Goodmen's Give It Up as her own production and I can't stand thieves. Bleh).

Maya Jane Coles has been winning fans over for the past year and a half. Gracing the cover of Mixmag and being dubbed as one of the Queens of the Underground is a pretty impressive feat.
One of my favorite tracks from her is a remix she did of Tricky's Time to Dance.

Annie Mac's Radio 1 show has gained immense popularity over the years. Sister Bliss has a show on Ministry of Sound radio, and they call her the #1 female DJ in the world. But still there is no female as big as Guetta, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Swedish House Mafia, Afrojack, etc etc. Is it because there are not enough female producers? Maybe...

Labels like Ultra, MoS, Azuli, Kontor are notorious for putting out videos that "objectify" women. I understand, it is because the main belief is that the majority of listeners are male, so they make videos that appeal to men. I saw clips from Ultra Festival in Miami where almost all the DJs were accompanied by female performers wearing bikini style outfits and very little else.  I've ignored this aspect of the industry for the most part, concentrating on the music, but it does project a negative stereotype of who is 1) making the music 2) listening to the music 3) industry people behind the scenes. Now that a segment of electronic music has become mainstream, there are many more female fans. It will be interesting to see if things continue to progress this way.

This is a picture from Annie Mac's profile. I don't know if this was her intention but the way I understand the picture is to be a mockery of exactly what I am talking about. What on earth can Annie Mac do with a pair of female dancers? Its funny...This is a fine example of why Annie Mac is so loved!

Here is the latest cut from newly minted BBC Radio 1 DJ B Traits (a fellow Canuck!). She belongs to the Digital Soundboy collective, a label founded by D&B impressario Shy FX. This track teeters on the line of House and Garage. The vocals of Elisabeth Troy make it into an anthem. I look forward to hearing more production from female artists, if it means we get quality tracks like these!


No comments:

Post a Comment