Sunday, April 22, 2012

DJ Mag keeps stirring up the drama! Now its time for everyone to pick on Avicii!

In the latest of dance music battles, DJ Mag has obtained an interview with prolific trance DJ/producer Armin Van Buuren. An interesting factoid about him is that he obtained a law degree prior to becoming one of the world's greatest DJs.
In the interview, which you can read here http://www.djmag.ca/2012/04/11/one-on-one-with-armin-van-buuren-invasion-london-ont/ he is asked about the rise of "EDM" and whether it is a good or bad thing.

"The bad side I think is the commercialization, there are a lot of people who want to make a quick buck and don’t care about the ground work that’s been done by quite a few people who are really into this music because they’re passionate about it." 

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. There is such a huge, disproportionate amount of people who now want to get into production, especially because with technology, it has become more simplified. But the driving force is seeing all these established DJs (and newcomers alike) receiving huge payouts, and living the life in Vegas and Ibiza.
The question specifically asked was

"Do you think it’s changing the sound of electronic music? Like in the way that we are seeing a bigger drive towards the big room synths, like Avicii for example."
"I think it’s a temporary thing to be honest. I mean, a lot of people tell me like “Hey man, that’s just trance.” I’m like “No, it isn’t.” I think it’s really important for me to state that I’m not necessarily in this industry to be successful with commercial radio. ... I’m not all of a sudden going to make Avicii-like records just because I can do it. It’s a trick, I mean he’s very good at it, I don’t know if I could ‘beat’ him so I’m not even going to try. I’m going to stick to my sound. I want to make what I want to make, and I want to make the sound that I believe in, and I want to bring that across."

People started to label that as an attack on Avicii. http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/52694/Armin_Im_not_going_to_make_Aviciilike_records_just_because_I_can But I think people are missing the point. Van Buuren knows that he is a trance DJ, and that Avicii comes more from House roots. So yeah, calling it something it truly isn't is just stating a fact.   Also, its not like Van Buuren doesn't make millions like the rest of them. He has been around for a very long time, built up his name and brand (Armada) and now enjoys success which involves getting monetarily compensated very well.
Avicii did an official remix for Armin's track "Drowning" with Laura V.  Why would he let him do that if he didn't like him? C'mon people!
Van Buuren goes on to state that even his colleagues have become more mainstream-driven. He never names anyone, which is smart. Why add fuel to the fire? He describes his technique of building up the crowd, and how the mainstream doesn't achieve that. Well, I suppose to each their own, right? Armin Van Buuren is an educated individual, and in everything I've ever read about him, being pompous, self-absorbed, and ego was NEVER associated with him. He's actually one of the most lovable characters in the biz. So DJ Mag, stop reporting on the drama and start reporting on the music.

Bristol's Waifs & Strays took to Twitter and asked "Can someone explain Avicii to me? I don't understand"
I get it, they're part of the "underground." But why? I just want to know what Avicii did to them. Is it because they are sick of hearing "Le7els"? Turn it off then!

During the day, I read some tweets and facebook statements that made no sense. Dave Rene is an A&R at Interscope, and huge proponent of EDM acts like SHM, Zedd and others. He was the one that linked Ryan Tedder to Sebastian Ingrosso and Alesso for the vocal version of "Calling." He is also hilarious on twitter which is why I follow him.

Then Nero posted on Facebook that they were upset because their set was moved up to an earlier time, rendering their lightshow somewhat useless in the daylight. I think their frustration is valid, who wants to have lights in the day, it won't show! They didn't say anything about Avicii, just about their frustration with Coachella.
But then Feed Me tweeted this:

I remember when that whole Sneak vs SHM thing happened, someone had tweeted "shots fired." I thought it was hilarious! And that's what resonated through my head when Avicii started defending himself towards Feed Me and Funkagenda.
So while everyone thought Avicii had asked not to compete with the Dr Dre/Snoop/holo Tupac show, therefore asking for his set time to be changed, Avicii stated it was not the case.
Whats more laughable about the situation is how Funkagenda always tries to weigh in, get involved in the drama. His tweets are nothing short of ridiculous. He tries to pass off his insults as his opinion which he is entitled to, but honestly he just spews so much venom its sad.
and then went on to "retract" his comments. Not really. He tried weighing in on the SHM/Sneak drama too. Enough about him though. Bleh
So why is everyone rallying up to target Avicii, whose real name is Tim Bergling? Yeah, Le7els might be overplayed, but Avicii is not a radio station manager. So many people I know who don't like "House" loved that song (Yes, I know I spend too much time on social networks)!. Its not like he just came onto the scene with that track. My Feelings for You, Fade Into Darkness, (Seek) Bromance were all hits before Le7els.
The Swedes are not having a good month. Actually, they are, except for these personal attacks. Once again, just gets chalked up to looking jealous on the attackers part. He has risen to fame in a very, very short time. He's still young. I don't know him personally, maybe he has become cocky. Seems logical for a 22 year old who is making millions. I suppose getting endorsed by David Guetta and having the Queen of Pop Madonna introduce you at Ultra can't hurt either. Oh, and a deal with Ralph Lauren to be  a spokesperson. There is definitely a lot to be jealous about.
His manager, Ash Pournouri, with whom Avicii works very closely with, put together a foundation called House for Hunger, where they raised money from Avicii's tour for hunger relief in the US. But hey, who cares about this, he's a cocky, demanding artist, right? (sarcasm!)
Twitter is supposed to be fun, a place to network, a place to connect with fans, a place to promote your music. If you're angry, send a DM, or call each other. I might be perpetuating this nonsense by writing about it, but only because it makes no sense. After fighting so long to become known and recognized as a genre of music, everyone within it is fighting. Silly! You all should just be grateful for being at Coachella. That festival used to be an indie haven for unknown bands and now they are booking electronic artists. Play nice!
I joked with Mr. V on twitter about the whole SHM & Sneak thing that it was just boys and their egos. I was definitely joking but I'm starting to believe there is some truth to that. Gotta get some girls in the game. Haha, yeah right! I can see the hair pulling now! MEOW!

How could I not post a music link? I leave you with...Le7els! Ooooh sometimes, I get a good feeling...

1 comment: