Thursday, April 19, 2012

Black Tiger Sex Machine - Rhythm Mode EP

As I previously mentioned, I'm really interested in promoting local talent. I first saw Black Tiger Sex Machine when they opened for Diplo at Montreal's esteemed Igloofest. Igloofest is an outdoor festival held in the heart of winter. Temperatures can reach as low as -25C (-13F). But party revellers brave the cold, and hot beats keep them warm. Igloofest is an offshoot of Piknic Electronik, a summer series that invites international DJs to spin outdoors in a park, promoting a communal environment where people come to enjoy the talent spin.
The trio consist of Foxed Up (Patrick Barry), Wolfcall (Julien Miranda) and Marx Menace (Marc-Andre Chagnon). BTSM put on an impressive show, mixing many styles in their set. Their new EP is no different. Its a 3 original track, 4 remixes EP.

Track 1 Rhythm Mode: electro goodness
Track 2 Kill My Soul: skip. Its dubstep
Track 3 Sub Shocka: electro funkiness. I like it!
Track 4 Rhythm Mode (Milo & Otis remix): skip. Skrillex-style dubstep
Track 5 Rhythm Mode (Charlie Darker remix): dirty bass. S'aight
Track 6 Rhythm Mode (Zimo remix): more electro goodness
Track 7 Rhythm Mode (Fellow remix): moombahton country

Just because my personal preference does not like dubstep doesn't mean this EP isn't good. Its really good from a production standpoint. And these 3 guys put on a great show.
They wear cool head gear that is reminiscent of Daft Punk. Here's a pic I took from Igloofest:

Unrelated random thoughts: the description at the bottom of their SoundCloud for the preview reads as follows:

The three members of Black Tiger Sex Machine return to Earth to find it ravaged by the Kannibalen Disease. Donning protective armor to shield them from infection and armed with a new weapon called Rhythm Mode, they venture out into the blighted wasteland that has become their planet, seeking out allies to help them stop the evil Doctor Kannibalen once and for all!

I can't help but think of the intro to LMFAO's video for "Party Rock Anthem," which inevitably makes me think of the Will Smith movie "I AM Legend." Maybe I'm revealing too much of myself and my ADHD-style thinking through this blog... :/

No comments:

Post a Comment