Tuesday, April 24, 2012

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Argh! That was my immediate feeling when I saw a post by Holland's Spinnin' Records asking if people remember the original of this track. The track in question is Hithouse - Jack to the Sound of the Underground.
I heard this track at a very young age, and it stuck with me. Its an Acid House classic. What is most interesting about this track is how it contains samples from a lot of other tracks. If you're ever feeling stumped trying to figure out a sample, www.whosampled.com can sometimes give you the answer. Hithouse's Peter Slaghuis died tragically in a car accident at 30. I can only imagine what kind of great music he would have put out had he still been alive today. "Jack to the Sound of the Underground" is a great example of how sampling can work. I'm all for sampling, but I'm not for blatant ruining of a classic!
This "updated" version just sounds unnecessary. Yes, that's right, a sound can be unnecessary!


Some of the greatest tracks have stemmed from a sample. But when an update just sounds like a lazy attempt to bank off of a former hit, I don't understand how people buy into it. There is definitely a generational gap that comes into question too. Most young "EDMers" probably never heard the original, so they would be hearing the update as an original to their ears. It is with great hope that these kids go searching for the original, and make a choice. The argument here is not about not being able to embrace a new sound, its more about tampering with old classics. Its like when Benny Benassi tried to give an updated version of Marshall Jefferson's Move Your Body. At first, I thought, well Benny Benassi appeals to a lot of the younger generation, maybe he will introduce them to the whole Chicago House scene of the 90s. But I'm sure the majority of people who know Benny Benassi, especially after his name blew up to young EDMers because of Skrillex's Cinema Remix, they probably will not look up Marshall Jefferson.

If you've read other posts of mine, then you will probably decipher that I'm not a huge fan of Skrillex's sound. So when I heard there was a track by Skrillex & Kaskade's track called "Lick It," I was scared to hear it. But when I did, I was pleasantly surprised.
Yuck I dislike the video! But I do like the track. But then it was brought to my attention the track relies heavily on a sample. The major difference is Skrillex probably adding his wobbles. Still, I think its a good, updated version.
If you check the Beatport Top 100, you will find some cringeworthy sampling of tracks. I've also started to hear blatant rip offs of melodies that give no credit to the original producers. Listeners, beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment